Cinco De Mayo was here and I have been wanting to make some sort of healthy alternative to a Mexican meal… because we all know not all Mexican food is healthy despite having some veggies on top!
So I put together this dish that was so so good!! Very simple to make, and it’s a healthy dish that the whole family will love!
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded (I used a rotisserie chicken.)
- 14 oz. your favorite salsa (I prefer fresh if possible)
- ½ cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
- ½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- salt & pepper to taste, as needed
- 1 cup shredded cheese, divided (I used a block of Kolby Jack and shredded it myself since shredded cheese has some extra ingredients that are not so healthy).
- Optional garnish; diced avocado, tomato and fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and prepare an 8×8 or 2 to 2½ quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine brown rice or quinoa, chicken, soup or salsa, corn, black beans, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, garlic salt and ½ cup shredded cheese.
- Spread mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining ½ cup shredded cheese. Bake uncovered until bubbly and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with avocado, tomato and cilantro, if desired.
Feel free to eat all by itself in a dish and if you like sour cream, add 1 tbsp of plain Greek Yogurt as a healthy alternative! You can also use this as a dip with whole grain tortilla chips!